The house moving boom: Book your van early

The house moving boom: Book your van early

With the recent stamp duty holiday and groupings of homeowners deciding on mass that they want to move to a new property, we can expect a surge in the uptake of van rentals right through until the end of summer. For the year of 2021, otherwise known as the year of the house moving boom, van rentals will need to be arranged in advance to guarantee your booking.

Whist popular removal companies may already find themselves fully booked, it is important to remember the option of self-drive rental vehicles. Here is everything you need to know about hiring a rental van for your house move…

How do I choose the right van?

When it comes to booking your vehicle, there are two factors to assess, one of which being the length of your journey. Shorter journeys will make multiple trips easier, whereas lengthier travel times will lead to you wanting to store as much as you can into the van during one trip, saving you from travelling back and forth all day.

The second will be the payload you will be needing to transport. To comply with road safety legislations, vans of all sizes have a limit on the weight of load they can transport. This can be worked out by subtracting the kerbweight from the gross vehicle weight (GVW). These figures can be located in the handbook. Alternatively, you can speak to your vehicle provider who will be able to assist you with the specific payload limit of a range of vans. Overloading your vehicle could result in unsafe driving, a penalty and a court summon.

You can also speak to your vehicle provider for tips on how to best utilise the storage space within your van to limit the journeys required whilst keeping your load secure.

Can I drive my rental van with a standard driving licence?

Driving a vehicle with an insufficient licence can result in a fine and 3-6 points on your licence, so it is important that you are aware of the vehicles you can drive on a standard category B driving licence.

If you received your category B licence before 31st January 1997, you are eligible to drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes. If your licence states category C, you are able to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes, as well as being permitted to tow a trailer of any weight up to 750kgs.

If you received your category B licence after 31st January 1997, it may be that you are required to sit additional driving examinations to operate vehicles over the weight of 3.5 tonnes, as well as to gain the ability to tow a trailer.

The category of your drivers’ licence can be located on the back of the card.

When should I book for my self-drive removal van?

During the year of the house moving boom, there can never be a time too soon to reserve your rental vehicle. To avoid disappointment, we suggest arranging for your vehicle when the completion date is mentioned or set in stone. We would hate for you to have to postpone your move due to lack of sufficient transportation!

Here at CVS Van Hire, we have a range of vehicles available for rental, as well as a knowledgeable team who are on hand to provide you with assistance for any form of enquiry. We have increased the number of Luton vans we have available for house moves, but demand is still rising. To reserve yours or for any other enquiry, give us a call on 020 8003 1184 and we will be happy to help.

Get a quote