What Licence Do You Need To Drive A Van?

Driving a van in London requires adherence to specific licensing regulations. If you are planning a van hire endeavour, understanding the necessary licences and provisions is crucial for a smooth hiring and driving experience.

This comprehensive guide aims to provide clear insights into the licensing requirements for driving vans in the capital city. For quality van and minibus hire and any queries regarding the same, you can speak to our experts directly. We offer a wide range of well-maintained fleets to meet your van hire requirements. Call 020 8131 6755 or email info@cvsvanhire.co.uk today.

What Licence Do You Need To Drive A Van In London?

To legally drive a van in London, you typically need a Category B driving licence. This standard licence allows you to operate small vans weighing up to 3.5 tonnes.

However, for larger vans such as medium or Luton vans, additional entitlements may be necessary. Depending on the vehicle’s weight and configuration, these additional categories may include C1, C1+E, C, or C+E.

Furthermore, if you plan to drive minibuses, a D1 entitlement on your licence is required. Understanding these licence requirements ensures compliance and safe operation on London’s roads.

We will discuss these types in more detail in the following section.

“Need a well-maintained, quality van to drive anywhere in the UK? CVS Van Hire has great options for you with 24/7 return and more benefits!”

Types Of Licences For Van Driving

1. Category B Licence

The Category B licence is the standard requirement for driving vans in London. With this licence, you can operate small vans weighing up to 3.5 tonnes. It is the most common licence held by drivers and covers a wide range of commercial and personal van use.

Obtaining this licence involves passing a practical driving test and meeting certain medical and age requirements. This ensures that drivers are competent and capable of safely handling vans on city roads.

2. Additional Categories

For driving larger vans beyond the limitations of a Category B licence, additional entitlements are necessary. These categories, including C1, C1+E, C, or C+E, depend on the vehicle’s weight and configuration.

For instance, the C1 licence permits driving vehicles weighing between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, while the C+E licence covers articulated vehicles.

Obtaining these additional entitlements typically involves undergoing further training and testing to ensure drivers have the skills and knowledge required for safely operating larger vans in urban environments.

You may want to go through this government website here for more details.

3. Minibus Licence

Driving minibuses in London requires a specific entitlement on your licence, known as the D1 category. This permits you to operate vehicles with a seating capacity of 9 to 16 passengers.

Obtaining a D1 licence is essential for individuals working in industries such as transportation, tourism, or education, where the use of minibuses is common. Holding this licence demonstrates proficiency in handling larger vehicles and ensures compliance with legal requirements for passenger transport.

4. Licence For Refrigerated Vans

If you intend to transport perishable goods or operate refrigerated vans, additional considerations come into play. While no specific licence is required solely for driving refrigerated vans, drivers must still hold the appropriate entitlements based on the van’s size and weight.

Depending on the vehicle’s specifications, this may fall under categories such as B, C1, or C. However, additional training in handling temperature-controlled cargo and adherence to food safety regulations may be necessary.

Additional Provisional Entitlements

Obtaining additional provisional entitlements for van driving involves a structured process designed to equip drivers with the skills and qualifications necessary for handling specific types of vans.

If your current driving licence does not cover the van type you intend to drive, you will need to undergo further training and testing to acquire the required entitlements.

For example, if you aim to drive larger vans exceeding the weight limits of your current licence, such as medium or Luton vans, you may need to obtain a Category C1 or C1+E entitlement. This typically involves enrolling in a specialised training course with a registered driving school, where you’ll receive comprehensive instruction on vehicle handling, safety procedures, and road regulations specific to larger vans.

The training program often includes both theoretical and practical components, covering topics such as vehicle maintenance, load securing, and manoeuvring techniques. Following the completion of training, you will be required to pass a practical driving test conducted by certified examiners to demonstrate your proficiency in operating the larger vehicle safely and efficiently.

To get additional provisional entitlements added to your driving licence, you will need to order form D2 from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). You may also need form D4. There will be no fees involved in this application process. Learn more on this website.

What Else Do You Need to Hire A Van In London?

In addition to the appropriate driving licence, several other requirements must be met to hire a van in London:

  • Generate a licence check code from the government website, which allows van hire companies to verify your driving record.
  • A bank card for securing the van booking.
  • A recent proof of address to confirm your residency.


Planning to hire a van? We hope this blog has helped you with essential details regarding your licence requirements.  By understanding the necessary licences, additional provisions, and documentation needed, you can streamline the process and enjoy a hassle-free experience on the road.

To get quality vans of different sizes and types, contact our team at CVS Van Hire. We will help make this journey safe and smooth for you. With low-security deposits and cost-effective vans and minibuses, your van hire experience with us will be a breeze!

Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]

1. Do you need a special licence to drive a van?

In most cases, a standard Category B driving licence permits driving vans up to 3.5 tonnes. However, larger vans may require additional entitlements, such as Category C1 or D1, depending on size and use.

2. Can you drive a van on a car licence?

Yes, in many cases, you can drive a van on a standard Category B car licence, which typically covers vehicles weighing up to 3.5 tonnes.

3. What size van can I drive?

With a standard Category B car licence, you can typically drive vans up to 3.5 tonnes in weight. This includes most common sizes of vans used for personal or commercial purposes. For expert guidance, feel free to reach out to us on 020 8131 0079.

Get a quote