Avoid potential fines by keeping the DVLA informed

Avoid potential fines by keeping the DVLA informed

Have you recently moved house or changed your name? If yes and you haven’t told the DVLA yet then you are at risk of being fined. There are a number of things that you legally need to keep the DVLA up to date on or else risk a hefty fine. Fines can be up to £1,000 if you fail to comply with any of the following:

  • Change of name. If you recently married or changed your name by deed poll you must inform the DVLA. Changes that you may not think about can also catch you out, such as changing your title or gender – for example from Mr or Ms to Dr.
  • Change of address. If you move house you must let the DVLA know as soon as possible. There is no charge for updating your details with the DVLA, all you have to do is complete the online form using your V5C log book and your new licence will be with you within three weeks.
  • Updating your licence: Did you know that your photo driving licence is valid for 10 years? After that period it must be renewed and although the DVLA will write to you to remind you, it’s easy to miss or forget if you have lots of other things going on. However, you are at risk of a heavy fine if you do not get it renewed. To check when your licence expires check the date under section 4b on the licence. To renew you can go to the DVLA website and the cost is £14. Alternatively, you can do it by post at a cost of £17 or at Post Office for £21.50 (they will take the photo for you if you do it at the Post Office). It’s worth noting that if you are over 70 years of age different procedures apply, so check with the DVLA about what you need to do.


Other things that you must keep the DVLA up to date about include:

  • Medical conditions: if you are diagnosed with a medical condition or disability that may affect your ability to drive you must inform the DVLA. It need not mean that you are no longer allowed to drive, but the DVLA does need to know about certain medical conditions. Find out more about what medical conditions you need to let them know about.
  • Vehicle alterations: if you make any alterations to your vehicle you may need approval so check ahead.
  • Selling your vehicle: if you sell your vehicle you must let the DVLA know that you are no longer the registered keeper.
  • SORN: if you have bought at vehicle that had a SORN status and you want to keep it off the road, you must apply for a new SORN as the new registered owner.


If you are looking to hire a van, talk to us at CVS Van Hire, we’d love to help. We have a variety of options to suit every need, just give us a call on 020 8003 2785 and let us help you find the right vehicle.

Get a quote